Why would you wait for Thanksgiving? You can eat this everyday! Unfortunately, we don't have Thanksgiving in the Netherlands... Isn't it just an excuse to eat a lot? :p
Today, I'm going to share one of my favorite mash potatoes recipes. This recipe has the following ingredients and it serves two.
- 500 grams potatoes (duh) without the skin and cut in parts
- 1 onion - diced
- 125 grams ricotta
- 150 grams fresh spinach leaves
- 100 grams bacon
- a bit of butter and milk to make it smoootthh
- a bit of olive oil (not like Jamie Oliver, which is 1/4 of the bottle) for frying the onion
- a bit of nutmeg, like a 1/2 tsp
- salt and pepper by taste
First we have to boil the water with a 1/2 tbs of salt in a medium pan. Add the potatoes and cook it for about 30 minutes till it's kind of soft, but not too soft, does that make sense? Try to pick it with a fork.
In the meantime, fry the onion in a sauce pan till it shines and has a golden color, then add the ricotta and add a small portion of spinach at a time.
In another pan, fry the bacon until crispy and leave it there for later.
The potatoes should be done by now, so drain the potatoes, mash it a little, add the butter and milk, stir, add the ricotta mix, stir again and add the bacon.
Add nutmeg, salt and pepper by taste and enjoy!